Saturday, April 26, 2008

The PDR incident

On Friday was the day of PDR launching in my school. First of all, I'll explain what it is. PDR (Plan-Do-Review) is a program to make a project in 1 term. They have 6 choises from every subject and the topic changes every term, so we need to pick them carefully or else we'll regret it. I myself, regret the subject I chose on my 3rd term. I chose science, which is to make a script for a talkshow about infectious or non-infectious diseases. I regret picking this, because I realized that Math or Bahasa Indonesia would be better. I was lured into the trap of not to make a report/essay in this PDR (the science teacher said that the script will be the report, so we don't have to make anything else).
This term, I had problems on what I should pick. The teacher in my class said that maybe he will not work in this school next year, so we decided to make a memory of it using his PDR (English). When I heard the topic, I said to myself, "This isn't my thing, if I do it I'll so regret it until i graduate, I have my own memories of you guys, so don't mean to sound rude but, I don't want to join this thing". At first, a couple of my friends thought that it's silly, or unsreasonable. But, because the kids that has power in the 6-7 grade (or as I say now the kings, the others are just like the numbers in cards) said, "The ones who doesn't want to join this PDR, raise your hand now!". Well, this is unreasonable, because the launching's not until this afternoon! So, with some doubts, I didn't raise my hand.
At last, the PDR launching we've been waiting for (for ages! since last week!). I find the Science and Bahasa Indonesia interesting. Science is to make a scrap book about the universe. Astronomy! My favorite subject! This enters the top 3 in the PDR topic I will choose. Bahasa Indonesia is also interesting, it's blogging. Well, you'll think it's boring, because i do it every week in this blog. But I never had a chance to blog anything in Bahasa Indonesia, so I think that this will be fun. Again, in my top 3 list. Math is also good, but it requires reading and finding something mathematical in that book, and I'm not really in the mood for reading.
Think-think-think.... I had trouble picking this, because the rest of my class is joining English to make the memory of themselves in this class. If I join another PDR, I'll be the only one in my class (out of 24 people) that joins another PDR. Think.. Think... Then I remember a phrase I heard somewhere, stand up for what you believe in. I believe that if I join this PDR, I won't like it, always say want to quit, or even regret this very much. 2 of my friends think the same, Danya and Rivi. They said that the English PDR wasn't their thing, so they're thinking of joining other PDR. They're afraid of being the only people who joins other PDR and for their friend to get mad at them because they weren't together. I said to them, "Syallow and Kara isn't with me, and Kara also said that she joined English not because she really wants to. if your friend is a real friend, than she would understand what you pick. You have the rights to pick, so don't get people to influence you this way."
Finally, we 3 (me, Danya and Rivi) joined Bahasa Indonesia together, and we're proud to be true to ourselves, because we didn't lie to ourselves saying that "I want to join the English PDR". We have said, "I want to join other PDR because the English is not our thing".
As a result, 1 of Danya's and Rivi's friend is mad at them for not picking english and not being together as a friend. Well, in my opinion, the ones who said this is because they don't want to be alone, not as a friend. So to all of you reading this, it's important to not lie to yourself, or someday you may regret it. This is a decision that I may not forget for about half a year or much longer. You may think it's silly, but to me it's dificult to choose, because of the pressure and reasons, but finally, I think that I did a good thing for myself.

No comments: